Whether you have adopted a dog as a puppy or an adult, the bonding process between pet and owner is a critical one. Many new owners make the mistake of assuming this bond will form automatically, when in fact your dog needs you to take certain actions to build a lasting relationship.
To bond with your dog you will need to spend time one-on-one together where your dog has your complete focus and attention. If there are other members of the family it is important that they also spend one-on-one time with the dog. If your household has multiple dogs it is important to spend time with each on their own, whether this is an outing together for the two of you or simply a play session. This should be done on a regular basis. Read the rest of this entry »
Therapy dogs provide an important and rewarding job for both the dog and the owner. If you are interested in your pet becoming a certified therapy dog you first need to make sure your dog is best suited for this type of work. Therapy dogs should be well trained and friendly. The dog should not be frightened of strangers or new situations and should enjoy going out and visiting new and unfamiliar places.
For certification, your dog will need to be in good health and up to date in all vaccinations. You should receive a health certificate from your veterinarian. Of course, make sure that your dog is well trained. Good therapy dogs need to be able to sit, lie down and stay on command and to walk on a leash without pulling. Read the rest of this entry »
Pet allergies no longer mean that you have to give up your love for animals. Thousands of allergy sufferers are even able to have pets in their home. There are some simple tricks you can do to make sure you and your pets can cohabitate comfortably.
If you suspect that you have pet allergies the first thing you will want to do is visit an allergist. Most allergists will work with you to control your pet allergies through antihistamine treatment, allergy shots and other holistic programs.
The key in managing your allergies will be to remove as many allergens from the air as possible. You should use HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filters in your home, particularly in the bedroom. Keep the humidity in your house low which will help to minimize dust mites. Remove carpeting wherever possible, particularly in the bedroom and sitting areas. Carpet will collect pet hair and other allergens further exacerbating the condition. Read the rest of this entry »
Nothing tugs at the heartstrings more than a neglected or mistreated pet. It is everyone’s responsibility to ensure the safety of the animals around us. The following are 10 tips that you can use to prevent animal cruelty.
* Familiarize yourself with your local animal control or ASPCA organization so that you know whom to call to report signs of animal cruelty.
* Get to know the pets in your neighborhood. Know the conditions they are kept in and whether they seem healthy and well cared for.
* Know what to look for. Animal cruelty can manifest in many forms; tick or flea problems, hair loss, injuries that have not received medical care, and being severely underweight are all signs of neglect. If you see any of these signs contact your local animal control or shelter. Read the rest of this entry »
While perhaps not the same as naming a child, some serious thought should still be put into choosing a name for the family pet. Below are some tips to consider when choosing a name for your four-legged family member:
* Animals respond better to one or two syllable names, so keep it short.
* Remember that this is a name you will be calling out, so make it easy to say and something you are comfortable with.
* It is best to avoid names that sound like commands such as “no” (Joe…).
* You may want to wait a few days to see what your pet’s personality is like before coming up with a name. Read the rest of this entry »
Playtime with Your Pet to Help Melt Away Winter Blues!
Beat your pet’s winter blues. The following are tips to keep your pet active and happy the whole winter through.
Read the rest of this entry »
Curly Loves Toys and his Wellness Food!
Toys should be an important part of your cat’s life. Not only do toys provide entertainment and enjoyment, but they also keep your cat healthy. One of the most common health concerns for cats is weight. Indoor cats are particularly susceptible to putting on the pounds from lack of activity. Cats frequently sleep up to 16 hours a day, which makes physical and mental stimulation when they are awake a high priority. Interactive toys can entice your cat into exercising, keeping his muscles strong and flexible. This can be something as simple as an empty box, a laser pointer, teaser or feather toys for your cat to chase.
Cats also need interaction and stimulation to relieve boredom, anxiety and stress. Stress can exacerbate any pre-existing health problems in your cat and can also lead to aggressive behavior, withdrawal and depression. Toys and playtime will relieve your cat’s boredom through interactive entertainment. Read the rest of this entry »
Adopting a pet is a big decision for any family and not one that should be entered into lightly. With such a wide variety of pets and breeds, you want to find one that will fit well into your family dynamic. The following tips will help you find the perfect pet for your family.
1. Involve all family members in the household in the decision process of selecting your pet.
2. Determine any constraints of your home. Will your pet of choice need a large yard or do you need a pet best suited for apartment living?
3. Determine any constraints of your schedule. Are you able to devote enough time for the exercise, grooming and training that your pet will need? Read the rest of this entry »
Children and pets can be the best of friends. Of course there are certain safety precautions that need to be taken, particularly with pets and younger children. The following are tips for keeping children safe around pets. Read the rest of this entry »
Water is an extremely important nutrient with respect to a cat’s overall well-health.
Since cats do not have a strong thirst drive, it is important for a cat to ingest water with its food. Packed with the same whole food nutrition as our dry formulas, our canned foods are a delicious way to increase your cat’s moisture intake. As a special treat or as part of your regular feeding, our canned foods are yet another delicious way for your cat to eat healthy. Read the rest of this entry »