They’re happy to see you. They enjoy resting nearby and they offer communication through tail wags and rubbing against you. They’re our pets and they bring great joy and happiness to millions of households.
Although all pet owners experience the benefits of having a pet, there are specific ways that pets enrich the lives of the older population. Studies show that older people with pets are in better health and spirits than those without.
3 Ways Pets Benefit Older People
- Companionship – It’s no surprise pets provide reliable companionship. Having a friend around to snuggle provides comfort and solace for older people, whether they live alone or with a partner. When you hold and pet an animal, your body releases endorphins, or “feel good” chemicals. Regularly stimulating the release of endorphins can help reduce arthritis pain, depression and other ailments.
- Dogs encourage regular exercise – Taking a dog for a walk is a gentle form of exercise. If mobility is limited, dog owners can split the exercise into several short walks throughout the day. People who maintain consistency with their exercise benefit the most—both physically and mentally. Physically, walking helps manage conditions such as diabetes and high blood pressure. Mentally, exercise eases anxiety, sharpens memory and inspires creativity.
- Protection—Many dogs will bark to alert their owners of potential intruders. Dogs can protect you while on a walk, and possibly even get help in the event of a critical situation such as a heart attack.
Next to obesity, veterinarians report skin and ear-related concerns are the most prevalent conditions they see on sick-dog visits.
Allergic reactions can show up at any age, though the vast majority of cases occur between two and six years. Yet few dog owners realize that these often-painful allergy symptoms may be remedied simply with the right nutritious food. A limited ingredient diet is designed to manage allergies naturally, by removing additional proteins, carbohydrates, fillers and additives. Since its successful introduction in 2004, Wellness® Simple Food Solutions® formula has helped thousands of dogs in need find relief from allergy symptoms and broaden the scope of healing.
Simple Food Solutions is the only limited ingredient diet that features fresh meat in all of its flavors and varieties. It combines one novel animal protein source, like duck, plus one easily digestible carbohydrate source, like ground rice, with a short, yet complete list of key ingredients. Nothing extra. We are happy to share our new complete line of Simple Food Solutions. In addition to Simple Food Solutions® Rice & Duck dry formula, we offer Simple Food Solutions® Rice & Lamb and Rice & Salmon, as well as a line of cans to complement each dry formula in Lamb & Rice, Salmon & Rice and Duck & Rice varieties.
Our three flavors allow you to pick a formula best suited to your dog’s needs and Simple Food Solutions cans are perfect for a dog who prefers moist food or as a complement to your dog’s dry diet.
The limited ingredients in Simple Food Solutions® are carefully chosen for their quality, nutritional value and their ability to nourish with simplicity:
- Ground Rice – With the bran layer removed, it is easy to digest. There are no additional carbohydrates.
- Duck, Lamb or Salmon – These are “novel,” high quality alternatives to common proteins due to their unique amino acid profiles.
- Canola Oil – High quality fat source is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids to help dogs maintain healthy skin and coat from the inside out.
- Tomato Pomace – Rich in the antioxidant lycopene; an excellent dietary fiber source.
- Vitamins & Minerals – A complete blend of everything a dog needs for daily wellbeing.
Water is an extremely important nutrient with respect to a cat’s overall well-health.
Since cats do not have a strong thirst drive, it is important for a cat to ingest water with its food. Packed with the same whole food nutrition as our dry formulas, our canned foods are a delicious way to increase your cat’s moisture intake. As a special treat or as part of your regular feeding, our canned foods are yet another delicious way for your cat to eat healthy. Read the rest of this entry »