15 Reasons to Consider Adding Canned Food to Your Dog’s Diet
Canned dog foods have many benefits for optimal nutrition that every pet parent should consider for their beloved dog.
Canned food formulas for Dogs:
- Palatability – Some dogs prefer canned food over better dry formulas. Canned dog foods are extremely palatable making them a great choice for picky eaters.
- Decreased Stool Volume – Dogs fed canned food tend to have a lower stool volume when feeding a canned diet.
- Convenience – It’s a time saver on rushed morning to just open the can for quick feeding.
- For Highly Active Dogs – Many young and active dogs require large amounts of calories in order to grow and maintain a vigorous life style. The little Jack Russell Terrier that runs two inches off the ground at all times, investigating the slightest activity, may need additional calories above the amounts in some dry formulas.
- As a Complement to Dry Food – Complete and balance canned formulas can be fed alone or as a complement to the dry diet.
- For Senior Dogs – Older dogs some times loose interest in eating and pet parents become concerned about how to stimulate their appetite. Canned foods are very palatable and will generally work well to encourage better eating enthusiasm.
- To Disguise Medications – Many pets, especially senior dogs take regular medication. Canned foods offer an easy and convenient way to disguise medications and reduce the stress of giving a pill for both the pet and the pet parent.
- For a Rotational Diet – Many dog owners like to provide a variety in their pet’s diet. Rotating the different varieties of canned foods is a convenient and nutritious way to do that every day.
- Variety is the Spice of Life – Moist foods come in multiple flavors and in different textures and packages. Use a variety of flavors to keep your dog interested in his food at all times.
- As a Nutritious Reward – Many pet parents like to offer a nutritious reward for their dog as a thank you for all they give back to us each and every day. Wellness canned food formulas are a great reward for a well behaved dog.
- To Increase Water Intake – Feeding moist food is a good way to increase the daily water intake of a pet. The water content of canned foods is usually about 70 to 78 %; with pouches containing more water at 82%.
- For Thin Dogs – Moist foods contain high levels of meat and are often used to enhance the fat and protein content of dry foods without adding excess carbohydrate or fiber.
- Longer Shelf Life – Canned foods are preserved with heat sterilization and vacuumed preservation in an oxygen free environment.
- For Dry Skin & Coat – Moist foods are often fed to animals with dull dry skin and coat condition to benefit the additional protein and essential fatty acids.
- To Address Food Sensitivities – Some canned foods are designed for pets suspected of having food sensitivity issues. Our Wellness Simple canned recipes feature limited ingredients and grain free options.
Wellness canned foods are an excellent choice for addressing all of the above benefits. In addition, the diverse Wellness canned food varieties are an ideal complement to dry formulas or as a complete and balanced diet fed alone.Take the time to review the varieties of Wellness® canned diets for dogs and choose the right formula to enhance the nutrition for your cherished pet.