Home » Blog » Dangerous Outdoor Concerns for Pets
The Wellness Blog

Dangerous Outdoor Concerns for Pets

Romping outdoors with your pet gives you both fresh air, exercise and some quality bonding time. However, there are some outdoor dangers that you need to be aware of to keep your pet safe.

  • Many outdoor plants can be hazardous to your pet. Steer clear of many bulbs, ferns, flowering plants, lilies and shrubs. If ingested, these plants can cause severe vomiting, diarrhea, or organ failure in animals.
  • Be careful about compost piles. The bacteria that forms in compost piles can be lethal. Compost piles should be enclosed.
  • Some varieties of the common mushroom that you find growing in your yard, can be very dangerous for pets. If your pet begins to show symptoms of poisoning, or if you know they have ingested a mushroom or other poisonous plant you should contact your veterinarian immediately.
  • Another outdoor hazard for pets is ticks. Ticks carry and transmit diseases, including Lyme Disease. You should conduct tick checks of your pet after they have been outside. Try to avoid high risk locations such as heavily wooded areas and low-growing grasslands. If you do find a tick on your pet remove it as soon as possible using tweezers. Grasp the tick by the head where they enter the skin and pull firmly and steadily outward. Keep an eye on the site of the bite for the next several days to make sure a rash does not develop, a sign of Lyme Disease.
  • Snakes are also an underlying threat to pets. Most snake bites to pets come from non-venomous snakes, but should still be avoided if possible. To prevent snake bites always keep your pet close-by, and leashed.
  • You should stay on designated trails and do not go hiking at night. Also try to keep your pet from sniffing and exploring holes, crevices, and rocks. If your pet is bit by a snake, bring them to a veterinarian immediately.

Comments are closed.