September 27, 2022
A Fresh Take on Doggy Date Night: Tips from TikTok Star Jeremy Scheck
While Wellness Bowl Boosters Freshly® is no longer available, Wellness offers a lineup of Bowl Boosters® to keep mealtime exciting for your pup! Wellness® Bowl Boosters® for dogs are an easy way to add a boost of flavor and protein to your pup’s meal – just sprinkle on top or mix right in! Crafted using only premium, all natural ingredients – Wellness Toppers are great for puppies, adults and aging dogs. Mix & Match all of our recipes to make every mealtime special.
Hi there, I’m Jeremy – known as ScheckEats on TikTok! I recently teamed up with Wellness Pet Company to announce the launch of Wellness Bowl Boosters Freshly, a new line of recipes expertly crafted to deliver health benefits that pet parents can see.
If you know me…you know I love food (it’s my career, after all). And Maude (my 9 year old rescue dog) doesn’t fall far from the tree! She is obsessed with the Freshly line of Bowl Boosters and her favorite way to enjoy the topper is served mixed with her kibble for a bowl supercharged with nutrition. When I first adopted Maude, she was very skinny, had low energy and her coat was dull. After getting on a consistent feeding pattern with Wellness Bowl Boosters Freshly, she has a pep in her step, a shiny coat, and is acting like a puppy again. She doesn’t miss a beat now and I’ve found that our relationship is stronger because she has the energy to go on more adventures together around New York City.
If you live in New York City – or any city for that matter – you know that dating and maintaining relationships can be hard between all the hustle and bustle. Maude is my best friend and I love taking her out on doggy date nights to keep our relationship fresh. Here are some tips and insider tricks for pet parents looking to do the same.
6 tips for A Fresh Take on Doggy Date Night with Freshly
- Set off on a Sniffing Expedition: I love to go to places in New York City where I can let Maude off her leash (like the dog park) so she gets a little freedom to sniff around her surroundings. Did you know that sniffing is a great way to stimulate your dog’s brain and it also helps to get out some energy? We live in a small apartment in Brooklyn, so her off-leash sniffing adventures are one of her favorite past-times. I always make sure to stay close to ensure she doesn’t sniff out anything that could be harmful!
- Connect on the Same Plane: I also enjoy sharing a meal with her and sitting on the ground, getting down to eye-level so she really knows I am focused on her. She always walks over, looking for some scratches and gets so excited. She has been loving the new Turkey & Sweet Potato Freshly recipe. She literally jumps up in excitement every time I open the bag.
- Soak Up a Special sPAW Night: I love to show Maude how much I care with a pampered pet night. I know what you’re thinking — I’m crazy! But hear me out. Once a month, I get out the nail file, ear wipes, and paw cream to make ensure Maude looks and feels her best. Of course, I also brush her. I then give her a head and shoulder massage — she LOVES it! We call it our monthly sPAW time.
- Go Treat Hopping at the Farmer’s Market: Every Sunday, I hit up the local farmer’s market to get my fresh fruits and vegetables for the week and I always bring Maude. Not only does she get to enjoy the free treats from vendors, but she gets to socialize with other leashed dogs, and always gets to snack on the fresh produce I buy! Carrots are her favorite. Pro Tip: Make sure to check your local farmer’s market rules about dogs before heading there with your dog, just in case.
- Bond over Brain Games: I spend some extra bonding time with Maude by putting her kibble or treats in a puzzle, so she must work to get them out. It’s so funny to watch her try to get her kibble out of the little mazes — I’m always cheering her on from the kitchen! I’m so proud of her when she completes the puzzle, and she always jumps up for a hug when she completes to task for some extra kudos!
- Dine Al-Fresco for an Official Night Out: When I go out to eat, I always prioritize outdoor, pet-friendly places. I love to enjoy my dinner with Maude curled up below the table on my feet. I do always feed Maude her Wellness Bowl Boosters Freshly BEFORE we go out to dinner, so she is more well-mannered during the meal. I also bring a chew toy, so she is occupied – my favorite is WHIMZEES Brushzees for an added dose of dental health. Don’t forget the water bowl, too!
As pet parents, we seek fresh, whole-food ingredients for ourselves for the same reason we want them for our dogs, and it’s been a ton of fun experimenting with recipes to match what Maude is eating. I’ve curated a special-edition recipe inspired by Wellness Bowl Boosters Freshly and am excited to share what I’ve been whipping up in the kitchen with Maude:
Parm Risotto with Fresh Vegetables
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter (more later in the list)
- 1 shallot, diced finely
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 cup arborio rice, or other risotto rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (optional)
- Parmigiano Reggiano cheese to taste (around 1/2 cup freshly grated)
- 1 tablespoon butter, cold
- Cooked seasonal vegetables to taste:
- Sweet potato
- Butternut squash
- Cut up and roast the vegetables (sweet potato, butternut squash, beets and parsnips) at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken stock to a simmer; keep warm over low heat.
- Add the olive oil and butter to a large skillet with high sides over medium heat; add the shallot. Cook until translucent and add the garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the arborio rice to the shallot and garlic, and toast 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly, until mostly translucent.
- Add the wine, and let simmer until mostly boiled away, stirring gently.
- With the skillet on medium heat, add the warm stock one ladle at a time, stirring gently but constantly, and waiting until most of the stock is absorbed before adding more. Stop adding stock when the rice is cooked through but still al dente. Add enough stock at the end to have it become thick and brothy but not an extremely soupy viscosity.
- Turn off the heat, and add the parmigiano reggiano and the butter, and the vegetables; stir well for a minute or two to achieve mantecatura, a cohesive glossy finish.
- Serve with extra parmigiano reggiano cheese and cracked black pepper.
- Pair with a side salad for an additional boost; mix the following in your favorite bowl:
- Baby spinach
- Dried cranberries
- Green apples
- Goat cheese
- Sliced almonds
- Add in some of the roasted butternut squash that is already prepared for added flavor and color!
Appetizers to try inspired by Wellness Bowl Boosters Freshly
- Teriyaki chicken bites with charred broccoli
- Spicy sweet potatoes with cranberry sauce
- Filet medallions with blueberry balsamic glaze
- Crispy rice with beef tartare
As always, aproveche, buon appetito and bon appétit – for both you and your pup! Feel free to tag me (@ScheckEats) and Wellness Pet Food (@wellnesspetfood) on Instagram and TikTok if you try any of these recipes out.