July 25, 2023
When To Use A Skin And Coat Supplement
The health and appearance of a dog’s skin and coat are important indicators of their overall wellbeing. However, factors such as dryness, itching, dullness, or excessive shedding can often impact a dog’s skin and coat condition. In such cases, the use of a skin and coat supplement can be a beneficial addition to their routine! These pet supplements are specifically formulated to provide essential nutrients, such as omega fatty acids and vitamins, that promote a healthy coat, nourish the skin, and address various skin issues. By incorporating a high-quality skin and coat supplement like Wellness Shine Skin & Coat Support Chews into their daily routine, pet parents can help their furry companions achieve a lustrous, healthy coat and maintain optimal skin health. Here are some instances when using a skin and coat supplement may be recommended:
1. Dry or dull coat: If your dog has a dry or dull coat, first ensure you’re feeding a diet that provides high-quality protein like Wellness® dry dog foods offer. Then for added support, a skin and coat supplement can help improve their coat’s overall health and appearance. These dog and cat supplements often contain essential fatty acids, such as omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which promote healthy skin and a shiny coat. Wellness Shine skin and coat supplements contain fatty acids supplied through the use of fish oil and flaxseed.
2. Itchy or irritated skin: Pets that experience itching, redness, or irritation on their skin may benefit from a pet vitamin supplement. Ingredients like fish oil, flaxseed oil, or other sources of omega-3 fatty acids can help reduce inflammation reducing, itching, and irritation and improve overall skin health.
3. Seasonal or environmental allergies: Some pets may develop allergies to certain environmental factors like pollen, dust mites, or certain foods. Skin and coat supplements that contain ingredients like antioxidants, probiotics, vitamins, and minerals can help support the immune system and alleviate the impact of allergies on the skin and coat. Probiotics are beneficial bacteria that promote a healthy gut microbiome. A balanced gut microbiome is essential for proper immune function, and it can help improve skin health by reducing inflammation. Probiotics included in Wellness Shine Skin & Coat support chews are designed specifically for dogs and can help support their overall wellbeing, including their skin.
4. Excessive shedding: If your pet’s shedding is excessive or more noticeable than usual, a skin and coat supplement can help promote a healthier coat and reduce shedding. Wellness Shine support chews contain ingredients like biotin, zinc, and omega fatty acids can support hair growth and minimize excessive shedding. Biotin is a B-vitamin that plays a crucial role in maintaining healthy skin and coat. It supports the growth of hair and nails and helps prevent dryness and itchiness. Biotin is often recommended for dogs with skin issues and are included in Wellness Shine.
5. Dermatitis or skin conditions: Pets with specific dermatitis conditions or skin disorders may benefit from a skin and coat supplement. These supplements can be provided alongside medications in improving the skin’s barrier function, reducing inflammation, and supporting the healing process. Zinc helps support the integrity and structure of the skin. It plays a role in the formation and maintenance of the skin’s outer layer, known as the epidermis. A deficiency in zinc can lead to skin problems such as dryness, flakiness, and increased susceptibility to infections. Zinc is also involved in the wound-healing process. It promotes cellular growth and tissue repair, which is crucial for the healing of skin.
6. Aging pets: As pets age, they may experience changes in their skin and coat, such as thinning hair or dryness. As discussed, Omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids are crucial for maintaining healthy skin and coat, but as dogs age, their bodies may become less efficient at producing these fatty acids naturally. Supplementing their diet with essential fatty acids in older pets can help reduce dryness, itchiness, and inflammation. Aging dogs may also experience increased oxidative stress, which can contribute to skin damage. Antioxidants like vitamins E and C, as well as other natural antioxidants such as those found in brewer’s yeast, can help combat free radicals and support skin health. Wellness Shine can provide additional support and nourishment for their aging skin and coat.
It’s important to note that while skin and coat supplements can be beneficial, they should not replace veterinary care. If your pet is experiencing severe skin issues, consult your veterinarian. They can evaluate your pet’s specific needs and recommend the most suitable treatment plan.