We recently held our first-ever #TreatItForward Tuesday! If you didn’t happen to catch the post on our Facebook page, we introduced Treat it Forward Tuesday to benefit both our loyal Wellness fans as well as their local animal rescue organizations.
The premise? Each week, we’ll post about #TreatItFoward, highlighting a Wellness Natural Pet Food dog or cat treat. Facebook fans can “enter” the giveaway by liking, sharing or commenting on the post. Then, we choose a winning Wellness fan. We ship the winner a full case of the featured Wellness treat, and they get to choose their favorite local shelter who will also receive a full case of treats for pets in need!
We had an overwhelming response for our first Treat it Forward Tuesday with an estimated 1,500 Wellness fans entering and nominating fabulous animal shelters all over the country to receive a case of goodies for pets in need.
Here’s our first winning entry, submitted by Jo Irvine:
“Lindsay Campbell is transforming the lives of so many needy seniors in rural Tennessee – she welcomes them no matter how old or sick – to her rescue sanctuary, Pleasant Hill Pet Rescue and Senior Sanctuary in Blountville, TN. Lindsay knows the importance good nutrition makes and Wellness treats are a favorite with her gang. The spectacular gift of an entire case of Pure Rewards treats would be such a blessing. I personally rescue seniors also and just love Wellness products. Pure Rewards treats are wonderful because they are grain free and soft for my seniors, like Big Boo pictured here.”
It’s inspiring to see the wonderful participation from the Wellness community. Together, we can work to bring awareness and attention to pets in need everywhere, and help these pets live happy, healthy lives as they wait for their forever homes.
Be sure to check the Wellness Facebook page each Tuesday to enter and nominate your favorite shelter to receive some tasty Wellness goodies!
-Wellness Natural Pet Food team
Pumpkins, scarecrows and goblins, oh my! Halloween is upon us and this holiday is one that is fun for everyone – including our four-legged friends! Pet owners all across America look forward to this holiday and many spend hours upon hours picking out the perfect costume for their pets. How do you celebrate Halloween with your pet? We’ve got some tips on how to have a fun and safe Halloween with your pet!
The Costume Factor
If you have a pet that doesn’t mind suiting up in a festive Halloween costume, then you should consider yourself lucky! Not all pets will be jumping at the chance to wear a costume, so it’s important to make sure that you don’t force your pet to wear something that they aren’t comfortable in. Your pet can participate in the festivities simply by wearing a fun Halloween bandana. Be sure to consider safety issues when choosing a costume for your pet. Your pet should be completely comfortable in their costume.
Trick or Treating
Whether you are going out trick or treating or staying home to give out candy, keep your pet’s safety in mind!
- If you bring your pet along for trick or treating, make sure they are on a leash the entire time.
- If it’s dark outside, your pet should be wearing some type of reflective gear so that they are noticeable to all drivers.
- Don’t let your pet leave home without their ID tag – you never know when they could get away from you.
- While at home giving out candy, take extra precautions to make sure your pet doesn’t slip out of the door when trick or treaters arrive. If your pet is known to be an escape artists, it’s probably best to keep them in a secure area during this time.
Speaking of Treats…
What’s the first thing you think of when it comes to Halloween? Candy! Dentists everywhere cringe at the thought of what their patients are indulging in on this particular holiday. While candy isn’t really good for anyone, it can be even more harmful to our pets.
- Keep all Halloween candy in a safe place where your pets cannot get to it. There are some candies that can be fatal to your pet, especially in large doses.
- That doesn’t mean that your pet can’t have any treats on Halloween! Pick up some special Halloween treats for your pet so they don’t feel left out while everyone else indulges in their favorite candy.
- Pet Parades: We love a good pet parade! Whether your pet is dressed in full costume or simply sporting a spooky bandana, pet parades are a fun way for your furry friends to get some good exercise and socialize with other pets.
- Costume Contests: What could possibly be better than a bunch of adorable dogs (and cats) dressed in funky Halloween costumes? If your community is hosting one of these events, you certainly don’t want to miss out! Your pet doesn’t have to be dressed up to get in on the fun! Again, if you take your pet out to any events in your community, keep their safety in mind. Make sure they are on a leash and they are wearing proper identification at all times.
Calling all cat lovers! October 29th is National Cat Day and we couldn’t possibly be more excited to celebrate. Their quirky and loving ways are unlike the characteristics of any other pet that you may have. Cat lovers know that the presence of a cat in their life is irreplaceable by any other pet. Well, in celebration of National Cat Day, we’re taking a stab at interpreting the complex minds of our furry cat friends and letting you in on some things that your cat has been dying to tell you – if your cat could talk, these are some things that he might say.
“I love you, but I need my space.”
If there is one thing that we know about cats, it’s that they are far less needy than the other pets in the house. They don’t need the constant attention and affections that some pets (ahem, dogs) sometimes need. There are some moments in which they love nothing more than to be curled up right beside you on the couch, and other moments in which they disappear into one of their secret spots and prefer not to be bothered (or found).
“Excuse me, the litter box isn’t going to clean itself.”
I mean, our cats do us the honorable service of basically training themselves to use the bathroom in the appropriate place, without any help from us. So, the least that we can do is keep their litter box clean so that they can continue to make our lives easier. Trust us, there are consequences for not keeping the litter box clean, but the fault will be all your own.
“The dog can stay, but don’t tell him I said that.”
Cats may not want to admit it, but they have a love/hate relationship with the dog of the house. They may act like the dog is the pain of their existence, but there is a love that exists between them deep down. Now, there are exceptions to every rule and sometimes the two pets simply cannot coexist together, but sometimes we think that it’s all just an act. We would be willing to bet that when no one is at home, Fido and Garfield are taking cozy naps together.
“Cats like treats too, you know.”
We’ve all been guilty of it – we go to the store and buy dog treats in five different recipes, but we don’t even venture over to the area where the cat treats are located. I mean, are cat treats even a thing? Well, our cats are here to tell us – yes, cat treats are most definitely a thing. In fact, Wellness offers cat treats in all different recipes and varieties, so give your cat something to purr about and surprise them with a brand new bag of delicious treats. No wonder cats have so much built up resentment towards dogs, right?
“Are you kidding me with that red laser light?!”
Now this is a game that we all have likely played with our cats. The ole laser light on the wall game. This game will send your cat into a complete focused frenzy where all they can think about is capturing that evil red light and destroying everything in their path while doing it. It’s hard to really tell, do our cats love this game or do they hate it? I guess we will never know, but the exercise has got to be good for them, right? So, grab some catnip and a laser light and make sure someone is ready with a camera – this is going to be good.
Does your cat rule your life? If so, National Cat Day gives you a perfect excuse to spoil your cat even more – not that you need one. Go ahead and fill your Instagram with a photo shoot of your favorite kitty without shame.
Of course, your kitty would like you to show appreciation in real life. For example, does your kitty like games? There are lots of ways you can help your feline stay mentally stimulated.
Laser pointer – This is an old favorite. Point the laser pointer at a spot on the floor and let it catch your cat’s eye. Move it slowly across the floor and Fluffy will do her best stalking tiger impression. Once she’s fully engaged, you can pick up the speed and eventually move the laser all over the room. If your kitty enjoys this, she’ll get a good workout.
String on a stick – This classic cat toy requires you to tease Fluffy with the string or feathers and then, pull them away. By holding the stick, you maintain control (and can save your fingers from outstretched – and excited – claws.)
Catnip stuffed mice – Roughly 50% of cats feel the effects of catnip. That is to say, they smell the stuff and go into a wild state of ecstasy. If your cat is one of them, you may witness kitty rolling around on the floor as if in the throes of a delicious dream upon sniffing the herb.
You can pick up fabric mice stuffed with this member of the mint family and give it to your cat. If you DON’T see her overcome with the happiness response you expect, maybe your cat is immune to the virtues of catnip.
Your feline may also be given to sedate joys like:
Belly rubs – When your kitty stretches out and rolls over exposing the belly, she’s asking for a belly rub. Give that kitty belly a rub.
Or, you could always get kitty a new collar and make sure she has an updated ID tag. In case she gets out of the house it’s good to have I.D.
There are many ways to spoil your favorite feline.
Of course, the real reason National Cat Day (October 29) exists is to encourage adoption. Pet adoption champion Colleen Paige started the day to remind people that the shelters are overcrowded with pets who need homes.
There’s even a new trend you may have heard about. A cat café.
What’s a Cat Café?
Unlike taking your dog to lunch at a sidewalk café, a cat café is a way to introduce adoptable cats to diners. The idea is that if you take the cats out of the shelter environment and give them a safe place to play, they’ll relax and their personalities will come out.
Cat café’s are popular in Japan and Germany and there are many in the works in the States. However, the U.S. health codes here have so far prevented them from opening – something about mixing cats and food – so while they’re working out the details, if you want to adopt a kitty, the shelters are still your best option.
How will you celebrate National Cat Day?
Hairballs aren’t welcome in any home – or in your cat’s stomach. Keep them under control with Wellness’ new Natural Hairball Control dry cat recipe.
Hacku To A Hairball
Wellness Cat presents
A farewell to gross hairballs
It’s hard to put any kind of positive spin on hairballs. It can be a common occurrence or a special occasion. But as parents to our beloved kitties, we all freeze in terror when hearing the approach of an impending hairball attack. This unmistakable hack roughly translates in human speak to: “Warning! Be prepared for a wet, hairy mess that will land in your general vicinity or that of a recently cleaned carpet. Evacuate the area in 5 seconds… 4 seconds… 3 seconds… oh, too late.”
Hairballs can be a result of your cat’s regular grooming routine, but they can cause problems with her digestive health (not to mention they go with nothing in your home’s décor!). Typically, the hair your cat swallows forms into what we call a hairball and is eventually vomited up. But, on top of the grossness that hairballs come standard with, she may not be able to get rid of it through the usual methods of expulsion. If it gets too large, it can cause problems within her digestive tract, resulting in bowel obstructions or constipation. In severe cases, she may even need to go into surgery in order to have a hairball obstruction removed.
Read more on PetGuide.com. Click the link here.
Last month, we asked Wellness fans to share with us how their pets love Wellness by entering up to 3 photos in our Wellness Love Pet Photo Contest. Thank you to everyone who participated! We received so many wonderful photos of your pets and their favorite Wellness recipes. After much deliberation, we’re very happy to announce the Grand Prize winner of the contest, along with the Runners Up and Honorable Mentions. The Grand Prize winner will receive a year’s supply of Wellness! The Runners Up will each receive a deluxe Wellness prize pack, and each Honorable Mention will receive a bundle of Wellness goodies!
Can we get a drum roll please?
Wellness Love Pet Photo Contest Grand Prize Winner: Lucky, submitted by Cynthia D. “Lucky loves her Wellness Signature Selects. When it’s mealtime she hops onto the stool next to the counter to watch me get her food ready. If she could talk she’d probably say, “Come on mom! Put down the camera and get this can open!”
Wellness Love Pet Photo Contest 1st Runner Up: Kono, submitted by @kono_in_orlando via Instagram.
Wellness Love Pet Photo Contest 2nd Runner Up: Gacy, submitted by Karin J.
“Who wants Wellness for dinner? Gacy does!”
Wellness Love Pet Photo Contest 3rd Runner Up: Zoey & Henry, submitted by KellyAnn Z.
“Zoey + Henry love Wellness Pet Food! They are lifelong fans of Wellness because it helps keep them healthy and happy!”
Wellness Love Pet Photo Contest Honorable Mention: Sluggo, submitted by Lindsay B.
“Sluggo Will Work For Wellness”
Wellness Love Pet Photo Contest Honorable Mention: Wellness kitty, submitted by Lauren A.
“Thank you for keeping me happy and healthy!”
Wellness Love Pet Photo Contest Honorable Mention: Tatiana, submitted by Christina S.
“It’s 5 o’clock… What are you waiting for?” My service dog Tatiana is always ready for her Wellness Core. Thank you for Wellness for keeping her healthy and looking like a puppy.”
Wellness Love Pet Photo Contest Honorable Mention: Polar, submitted by Allison S.
“Polar powers through his farm chores fueled on Wellness Core Ocean Formula! #LovesHisWellness”
Wellness Love Pet Photo Contest Honorable Mention: Lucy, submitted by Sarah S.
“Wellness was love at first bite with Lucy. You can tell by the look in her eyes! We absolutely love all your products.”
Wellness Love Pet Photo Contest Honorable Mention: Wellness students, submitted by Deb N.
“We’re so happy our mom included our bag of Wellness Core Superfood Protein bars in our lunchbox for our first day of school! We eat Wellness dog food for our meals too!”
Wellness Love Pet Photo Contest Honorable Mention: Wellness feast, submitted by Johnal L.
“Wellness…it’s what’s for dinner!”
Thanks again to all who participated!
-Your Friends at Wellness
So, let’s be honest here – for all of the fellow dog lovers out there, EVERY week is Dog Week. There isn’t a week that goes by that we don’t celebrate the love that we have for our four-legged friends. However, some super clever person out there decided that it was time to go NATIONAL with our love for dogs, so the last week in September is now deemed National Dog Week, and that sounds like a perfectly good reason to celebrate our furry friends! Let’s talk about some ways that you can celebrate with your dog.
10 Ways to Celebrate National Dog Week
- Take a hike. Chances are, your dog drools over adventure! Plan a hiking adventure for you and your dog to enjoy together – research local state parks and make sure they are pet friendly. Your dog will love the new scenery and you’ll both be glad that you went!
- Start a new training activity. Whether obedience, Agility, Flyball, or playing Frisbee, there are a lot of benefits that come along with these kinds of activities – for you and your dog! Teaching your dog something new is a great way to give your dog the mental stimulation and physical exercise that they need.
- Start a blog or social media account. Why not share your dog’s life with the world, using stories and pictures? I can guarantee you that people will love it! What’s even better is that you will always have special moments of your dog’s life documented somewhere, and you are sure to enjoy looking back and reliving those memories in the years to come.
- Volunteer at a rescue or shelter. This is a great and important way for dog lovers to give back to their community. Animal shelters are always in need of a helping hand and it can be very rewarding knowing that you are helping other dogs in need, even if it’s just taking them on a walk once a week.
- Arrange a playdate. Do you have neighbors or friends with dogs? If you know that they play well with other dogs, playdates are always a fun idea. Not only is it great for your dog to socially interact with other dogs, but a good backyard romp with another furry friend is also great exercise for your dog.
- Join a dog walking group. Chances are, your community offers local groups of like-minded dog lovers that get together for weekly group dog walks. This is a great way for your dog to get social interaction and also a way for you to meet people in the area that share your love for dogs. Dog lovers unite!
- Schedule a health check. OK, so this may not be your dog’s favorite thing to do, but it is one of the most important things that you can do for your dog. Life gets busy sometimes and time slips away from us – this is a good week to schedule a health check up with your veterinarian to make sure that your dog’s health is in check.
- Adopt a dog. Adopting a dog is not a decision to be made lightly. It is important to give plenty of thought and consideration to bringing a new dog into your home. If you have been considering getting a dog for some time, this would be the perfect week to save the life of a dog at one of the local shelters in your community.
- Share the love. Share the love that you have for your dog this week. Post a tribute on social media with pictures and thoughts expressing how much joy your dog has brought into your life. You never know, you may inspire someone else to adopt a dog of their own!
- Hug your dog. Give your dog some extra love and affection this week – or better yet, give them extra love and affection EVERY week!
Are you ready to celebrate National Dog Week now? We all love our dogs every day of the year, but try this week to step out of your routine and show your dog how much you love them in an extraordinary way. Happy National Dog Week, fellow dog lovers!
Hi Pet Parents,
Check out our latest deal on Wag.com! Save 15% when you spend $75, 20% when you spend $100, and 25% when you spend $150 on Wellness, Holistic Select, Eagle Pack, and/or Old Mother Hubbard products.
Click here for savings: http://weln.es/petbuysave